I want to adopt my step-child / relative.  Can you help with this?

In Ontario, adoption of a stepchild or relative is done directly through an application to the Court. It does not require involvement of the Children’s Aid Society or adoption licensee.  You can contact a family lawyer or the Family Law Information Centre at your local courthouse to get information on the process. 

Children’s Aid Societies only complete adoptions on children who are in Extended Society Care. If you are aware that a relative is in the care of the Society, you should contact the child’s caseworker.