in this section left in this section right In this Section
Newsletter sign-up

Frequently Asked Questions

If you were in extended Society care and you are now over 18 years old, this information is for you!

Q: When I was younger, I was in extended care (crown ward). Do I have access to my file from my time in care with the Children’s Aid Society of Ottawa?

A: If you were in extended care of the Society (crown ward), you are eligible to receive your file. 

Q: I would like to know my foster parents names. Can you please tell me the names and addresses of the foster homes I resided in?

A: The Children’s Aid Society of Ottawa has an obligation to keep the identities of third parties confidential, it is not possible to disclose the names or addresses of your foster parents.

Q: I am applying to the Criminal Injuries Compensation Board (CIBC) because I suffered from abuse in my foster home. Do you provide documentation to help support my claim?

A: We will provide you with any type of summary that you are seeking for your claim submission. Usually, the file-summaries include: reasons why you came into care, your foster placements, psychiatric/psychological assessments and any disclosure of abuse.

Q: I have lost my identification. Does the Children’s Aid Society of Ottawa have any of my original documents? Does the Children’s Aid Society keep any copies of my original documentation?

A: The Children’s Aid Society of Ottawa stores all files in an archived database. However, the Children’s Aid Society of Ottawa does not necessarily keep originals or copies of your documentation. Generally, speaking, we do not have original documents. However, if you need assistance applying for your documentation please do not hesitate to contact us.

Q: I am enrolling in school, can I receive proof of extended society care (crown wardship) to help complete my Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP) application?

A: We can provide you with a signed letter from the Children’s Aid Society of Ottawa (CASO) which would confirm your legal status while you were in care of the CASO.

If you would like to receive additional information on any of the topics discussed above, please contact the Access to Information and Disclosure Team: 613-747-7800 (and follow the prompts).